The Health Agency

Mental Health Service

Counselling offers a regular opportunity to talk over issues in your life with a skilled listener so you can reach a better understanding and decide the best way forward. Counselling can help you cope with:

  • A mental health condition, such as depression, anxiety, or an eating disorder
  • An upsetting physical health condition, such as infertility
  • A difficult life event, such as a bereavement, a relationship breakdown, or work-related stress
  • Difficult emotions, such as low self-esteem or anger.

Your counselling block will usually be for a maximum of 12 weeks. You can state your preferences regarding day, time, therapists religion, gender, experience etc but note that your preferences may effect wait times and in some cases we may not be able to accommodate them.  All our counsellors follow the British Association of Counsellors and Psychotherapists (BACP) code of practice to ensure that the best service possible is offered to you.

Cognitive Behavioural Therapy (CBT) is a form of psychotherapy that is solution-orientated dealing with the ‘here & now’. It is based on the idea that thoughts, feelings, what we do, and how our bodies feel, are all connected. If we change one of these, we can alter all the others.

When we’re low or upset, we often fall into patterns of thinking and responding which can worsen how we feel. CBT works to help us notice and change problematic thinking styles or behaviour patterns so we can feel better. 

CBT is a collaborative therapy – it’s not something that is done to you, it’s a way of working together with a CBT therapist on mutually agreed goals. CBT may also include some practical work for you to undertake between sessions, and a block usually lasts 16 weeks.  


Counselling and CBT are available to anyone in South West Edinburgh aged 16 and over and can take place face-to-face, online, or by phone. You can self-refer or be referred by your GP, CPN, social worker, or other organisation you are working with. To find out more use the Access or refer to our services button.

Was this article helpful?